Monday, September 30, 2013

Today I Got Sauced

A good friend of mine of Italian extraction expressed dismay when he learned that I was using store bought sauce on my tomato pizza. Knowing that I was a gardener, he strongly encouraged me to make my own sauce. What can I say? It was an offer I could not refuse. After all, I had a plethora of ripe Roma tomatoes and sweet, red banana peppers just begging to be used. Not to mention pungent onions ready, willing and able to be part of a culinary symphony. Garlic? Oh yes there was garlic too, ready to play its part.

So how did my effort turn out? Well, I don't think Giada De Laurentiis has to worry about me taking her job anytime soon. Nor do I think The Order Sons of Italy will offer to bestow honorary membership on me in the foreseeable future. However, the taste is better than passable, if I do say so myself. And my friend was right. It tastes better and fresher than anything bottled or canned. So I guess we can label this experience delizioso!

No comments: