Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Learning To Hate Thinning Less

If you think the title of this piece is about hair, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's actually about one of my least favorite gardening activities, thinning. Maybe it's my keen sense of frugality, but it has always irritated me that sprouts must be removed so that others may flourish. The loss of potential produce just rubs me the wrong way. Although to be honest, I don't just discard the potential tomatoes, carrots, etc. The young plants go straight into the compost bin. But still, I'm haunted by the thought of what might have been.

This sense of loss is greatly reduced when growing lettuce and other greens. Even when young, the tender sprouts can be used in a sandwich or salad. So my thinning becomes grazing. Now that's something I can live with!

No comments: